Little Proof Bread SticksFrom chefjeb 9 years ago
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let proof until bubbly.
- Add olive oil and salt and add flour a cup at a time.
- If using mixer or food processer, dough should pull away from side of bowl. Add flour until this happens.
- If kneading by hand, add flour until you have an elastic and kneadable dough.
- Knead until you can take a golf ball size piece and stretch it without tearing.
- Place dough on lightly floured board, cover and let sit for five minutes
- Roll into a log about 20 or 22 inches long. Cut log into 20 pieces
- Let rest 3 or 4 minutes
- Grease baking sheet
- Roll each piece into a bread stick as long as your baking sheet, or any size you want. These will be like fat pencils.
- Roll each piece in your choice of course salt, sesame or poppy seeds
- Place each pencil on greased baking sheet
- Let sit for 10-15-or up to 20 minutes until they just begin to rise. This will depend on heat and humidity. Higher heat and humidity will rise faster. Do not let them overrise, rember there will be some oven bounce.
- Bake at 325 for about 15-20 minutes (depending on size)
- Bake until nicely browned and crisp.
- Keeps several days stored in airtight container.