Saganaki Greek Fried CheeseFrom bonzaichef 8 years ago
- 1/2 lb (250g) Kefalotiri or Kasseri cheese. If you find it difficult to find these greek cheeses, you can substitute it with Halloumi or Sheeps milk feta. shopping list
- Roughly about a 1/4 cup(1 1/2oz / 45g) plain flour with 1tsp freshly ground pepper added. shopping list
- olive oil for frying. shopping list
- oregano shopping list
- 1 lemon shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the cheese into pieces about 1/2inch thick, 3inches long & 2inches wide. Rince the cheese in cold water to remove the excess salt & then pat dry with paper towels. Dip the cheese in the seasoned flour & give it a good coating on both sides.
- In a large frying (saute) pan, pour in about 1/4inch of your olive oil. Put on a very high heat but do not let the oil smoke. Carefully place the floured cheese in the pan & fry on each side for about 2-2 1/2 mins until they turn golden & crispy.
- Place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil & sprinkle with oregano & a squeeze of lemon. Serve with a nice light salad & a wedge of lemon for garnish for a great light lunch or starter.
People Who Like This Dish 30
The Cookbonzaichef Rochester, Kent., GB
The Rating5 people
Oh yes! I hope I can find this cheese!!markeverett in Riverside loved it
YOU KNOW IT!! High 5!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!waterlily in Joplin loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!