Saganaki Greek Fried CheeseFrom bonzaichef 6 years ago
- 1/2 lb (250g) Kefalotiri or Kasseri cheese. If you find it difficult to find these greek cheeses, you can substitute it with Halloumi or Sheeps milk feta. shopping list
- Roughly about a 1/4 cup(1 1/2oz / 45g) plain flour with 1tsp freshly ground pepper added. shopping list
- olive oil for frying. shopping list
- oregano shopping list
- 1 lemon shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the cheese into pieces about 1/2inch thick, 3inches long & 2inches wide. Rince the cheese in cold water to remove the excess salt & then pat dry with paper towels. Dip the cheese in the seasoned flour & give it a good coating on both sides.
- In a large frying (saute) pan, pour in about 1/4inch of your olive oil. Put on a very high heat but do not let the oil smoke. Carefully place the floured cheese in the pan & fry on each side for about 2-2 1/2 mins until they turn golden & crispy.
- Place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil & sprinkle with oregano & a squeeze of lemon. Serve with a nice light salad & a wedge of lemon for garnish for a great light lunch or starter.
People Who Like This Dish 30
The Cookbonzaichef Rochester, Kent., GB
The Rating5 people
This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!waterlily in Joplin loved it
YOU KNOW IT!! High 5!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Oh yes! I hope I can find this cheese!!markeverett in Riverside loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!