Chipolte Tamale PieFrom girlieerin 8 years ago
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound, lean ground turkey shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1 (8-ounce) can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 2 chipotle chiles, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce, from can chipotle in adobo shopping list
- 1 cup grated Cheddar shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package cornbread mix shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/3 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease an 8-inch baking dish with the butter and set it aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, the onions, green peppers, and garlic and cook until the turkey is no longer pink and is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain off any excess fat and sprinkle the meat mixture with the cumin.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, chiles and adobo sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until heated through and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and cilantro.
- Spread the turkey mixture in the prepared baking dish, pressing down on it with the back of a spoon to make an even, compact layer.
- Combine the cornbread mix with milk and egg and bake according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spread the cornbread batter over the turkey mixture and bake until the cornbread is golden-brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the tamale pie stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- View step by step images of this Ingrid Hoffman recipe at my food blog: www.erincooks.com