Tamale Pie In A Cast Iron SkilletFrom shandy 4 years ago
- FOR THE TAMALE FILLING: shopping list
- 1 T. canola or vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use 85/15 fat content) shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped shopping list
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained shopping list
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, do not drain shopping list
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce from can shopping list
- 2 T. purchase mole paste (If new, the paste will be hard with liquid on top. Stir with patience or you will have oil slopped all over your counter) shopping list
- 1 T. ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 c. sliced black olives shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 c. chopped cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided shopping list
- FOR THE cornbread TOPPING: shopping list
- 1 c. plus 2 T. fine ground cornmeal shopping list
- 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 T. sugar shopping list
- 1 T. baking powder shopping list
- 1 t. salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. buttermilk shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten shopping list
- 3/4 c. corn kernels shopping list
- 2 T. unsalted butter, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Make the filling:
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Add the oil and onion and saute until the onion is golden, 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the meat and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, breaking up the pieces with a wooden spatula. Using a large spoon, skim the fat from the pan, leaving 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fat in the pan.
- Add the green pepper, black beans, tomatoes, chipotles, adobe sauce, mole and cumin; bring to a boil, stirring to blend, Stir in the olives, salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and 1 cup of cheese. Keep the filling warm as you prepare the topping.
- Make the cornbread topping:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and eggs; stir them into dry ingredients until blended. Add the corn and butter, and mix well.
- When the cornbread batter is ready, spread it over the meat using a large spoon. Cover the surface and smooth the top with a slightly wet metal spatula, or even your finger.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese, and return the pie to the oven. Bake until the top is lightly browned, a toothpick inserted into the crust comes out clean and the filling is bubbling up on the sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving with a large spoon.
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!