Olive Oil Apple CakeFrom midgelet 3 years ago
- 1 cup olive oil, light variety shopping list
- 4 heaping cups of peeled, cored chopped, baking apples shopping list
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts ( walnuts or almonds ) shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- 2 cups all- purpose flour- or part whole wheat flour if desired shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- dash salt shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups sugar shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla flavor extract shopping list
- sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle over the top of cake prior to baking shopping list
- optional: powder sugar for dusting finished cake shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease or oil pan of choice
- Combine apples in a large bowl with the zest and juice of the lemon, the nuts, and the cinnamon
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and the sugar
- Combine eggs, oil and flavor extract and blend well.
- Beat together the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients until very well blended with electric mixer
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter over the bottom of the pan.
- Evenly place 1/2 the apples on top, and cover the apples with the remaining batter.
- Place on remaining apples.
- Sprinkle the top with some extra sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 45 to 70 minutes depending on type of pan ( oblong, ring pan, or spring form pan ) , or until golden and tested done in center with toothpick.
- Cool completely in pan.
- When cool, chill in refrigerator.
- Optional, a icing glaze or dust of powdered sugar
- Note: I served pieces with a spritz of whipped cream