Breast Of Chicken Mornay CasseroleFrom Good4U 4 years ago
- 3 whole chicken breasts or 6 halves or 6 boneless breasts ( not huge ones!) shopping list
- * I have made it with only two chicken breasts and not adjusted the sauce or topping and it works out just fine. shopping list
- 6 thin slices cooked ham from the Deli is fine. Rind removed if there is any on it and sliced to about a couple of inch strips . shopping list
- 6 slices or more of swiss cheese, Emmental or jarlsberg cheese (not processed cheese) shopping list
- Sauce shopping list
- 4 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion shopping list
- 4 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp pepper shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/4 cup half and half cream shopping list
- Topping shopping list
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Poach the chicken breasts covered in small amount of water. Bring to a rapid boil for about 10 minutes then turn the burner down and simmer for about another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot tightly and let the chicken breasts stand in the hot water for another 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how big the chicken breasts are. Remove the chicken breasts with tongs to a plate and remove skin and bone, if using bone in breasts. Then slice each breast in three even horizontal slices (lengthwise). That process will make the chicken moist and tender.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Saute onion until transparent. Whisk in flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smoothly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg with cream in a separate bowl then whisk it into hot sauce gradually and cook a few moments longer, stirring constantly. remove from heat and put aside.
- In broad shallow buttered baking dish, layer alternately, slices of chicken, ham, and cheese. Cover the dish evenly with the sauce. I usually take a knife and insert it and move it around a bit so the sauce drains down through. That wasn't in the original instructions though so it is up to you.
- I just find the sauce is more even that way.
- Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter and sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes until top begins to brown.
- Remove and serve. I have tried to freeze this and it doesn't do so well but it is like most dishes it tastes good the next day too! Enjoy:)
People Who Like This Dish 25
The CookGood4U Perth, Canada
The Rating3 people
This sounds really yummy Joce. I've never had Chicken Mornay before.chuckieb in Ottawa loved it
Is this baked in an oven to warm everything up and brown the bread crumbs?pointsevenout in Athens loved it
It has a nice flavor. Fits in a 9x13 casserole dish.
See Breast Of Chicken Mornay for more mouthings.pointsevenout in Athens loved it