Irish Stew With Beef And LambFrom dond 5 years ago
- 1 pound lean stewing beef trimmed of fat and cut into 1½” to 2" cubes shopping list
- 1 pound lean lamb cut into cubes shopping list
- 1 cup Guinness (or one bottle -- your call) shopping list
- ½ cup mead or honey wine shopping list
- 2 teaspoons oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons flour shopping list
- salt and fresh black pepper shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 teaspoons fresh marjoram shopping list
- 1 sprig of thyme shopping list
- 2 large onions, diced shopping list
- ½ cup carrots, diced shopping list
- ⅓ cup rutabaga, diced shopping list
- ⅓ cup turnips, diced shopping list
- 1 cup potatoes, diced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1 cup beef stock shopping list
How to make it
- Toss the meat cubes with flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate pan heat the Guinness, mead, and beef stock. Keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over high heat and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add ½ the onions and the tomato paste.
- Cover and cook the meat and onions for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the herbs and begin to sweat the vegetables to release some of their liquid (don't let them brown).
- Add the warm Guinness, mead, and stock mixture.
- Scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and stir the stew..
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- During the last 20 minutes, add the fresh herbs (either tied up in a piece of cheesecloth or in a metal tea infuser) and adjust the seasonings.
- When you're ready to serve, discard the herbs and dish out portions of the stew with slices of hearty bread.
The Cookdond Rockville, MD
The Rating4 people
Winter is coming and i know i'll love this onedizzzykipper in Port Angeles loved it
I can just hear the Leprechauns playing, or singing, or whatever they do when they're happy.merlin in San Francisco loved it
This is an amazing recipe !!! Marjoram will blend the wooly taste of lamb so that even people who Hate lamb will love this recipe !! I added the recipe to the group cooking with booze. Spread the love, this is a great recipe!!!greenlord in Montreal loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!