French Onion SoupFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 4 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup red wine, about 1/2 bottle shopping list
- 3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 quarts beef broth shopping list
- 1 baguette, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 pound grated gruyere shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Now add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top.
- Alternative method: Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese.
The Cookdarbar Elmhurst, IL
The Rating8 people
Made this tonight. It was excellent. My husband has been asking me to make some for a while and he wasn't disappointed. thanks!suzyqt1968 in Spanaway loved it
This was wonderful and easy enough to cut in half. I chopped up the thyme, though, and threw it in there. I love the addition of the flour. It added something to the broth. Thank you. :)frankieanne in Ukiah loved it
We made this about a week ago! It was the best. It even got better the next day! Thank you! Kellykellyg72 in Roseville loved it