Red Cabbage and KielbasaFrom notyourmomma 8 years ago
- 1 med to large head of red cabbage shopping list
- 1 large onion slivered shopping list
- 2 heaping tablespoons of bacon fat (quiet diet police) shopping list
- 2 tart apples, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper shopping list
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup of water shopping list
- 1 big ring of kielbasa cut in 2 inch chunks shopping list
How to make it
- Remove outer tough leaves of cabbage and wash well.
- Core cabbage and shred.
- Melt bacon fat. Remove from fire.
- Add cabbage, onion, apples, water and remaining ingredients (except the kielbasa chunks).
- Simmer, covered for one hour.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add kielbasa and simmer another half an hour.
- You may want to thicken the liquid ever so slightlly with a tablespoon of corn starch mixed with some cold water and add it when you add the kielbasa and let it come up to the boil and reduce back down to low heat for the duration.
- Love this served with pan fried cubed potatoes on the side.
People Who Like This Dish 17
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating3 people
Great recipe love this also liek Kielbasa and Kraut yummomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I made this last night (right down to the potatoes) and it was a huge hit! I used carraway seeds instead of cloves - my German Grandmother used to make red cabbage with carraway. Very very yummy, thanks so much! 5!dextergirl in Murrieta loved it
We made this tonight. Turned out very nice. However, next time, we will reduce the quantity of brown sugar. The cabbage and apple cider vinegar already gives a lot of sweetness. The ratio of red cabbage appeared to be too high so we doubled the kielb...moreBuddhaBoy in loved it