Pecan Squares courtesy of the Barefoot ContessaFrom henrie 9 years ago
- 1 1/4 pounds unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 extra-large eggs shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 1 pound unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 cup good honey shopping list
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest shopping list
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 pounds pecans, coarsely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust, beat the butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until light approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the batter with the mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Press the dough evenly into an ungreased 18 by 12 by 1-inch baking sheet, making an edge around the outside. It will be very sticky; sprinkle the dough and your hands lightly with flour.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is set but not browned.
- Allow to cool.
- For the topping, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, and zests in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat until the butter is melted, using a wooden spoon to stir. Raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the heavy cream and pecans. Pour over the crust, trying not to get the filling between the crust and the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Cut into bars, dip one end in melted chocolate about one inch only and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 57
The Cookhenrie Savannah, GA
The Rating15 people
woooww they look soo decadent.. must try!samboli in Vancouver loved it
another great one the picture is to die forminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Henrie, Lovely recipe and presentation!
5 * * * * *
Thank you for all your help here! :)
(Lana:)lanacountry in Macon loved it