Spinach and Ricotta PattiesFrom flavorsofitaly 6 years ago
- 1 lb fresh spinach shopping list
- 1 generous cup ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed shopping list
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, lightly grated, plus a few Parmesan shavings for garnish shopping list
- 2 Tbl all-purpose flour, mixed with 1 tsp thyme shopping list
- 5 Tbl butter shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- tomato wedges for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Wash spinach and trim off any long stems. Place in a pan, and cook for 4-5 minutes until wilted. Do this in batches, if necessary. Place in colander, and let drain well and cool.
- Place ricotta in bowl, add egg and fennel seeds, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in Parmesan.
- Squeeze as much excess water as possible from the spinach, then finely chop. Stir spinach into cheese mixture.
- Using about 1 Tbl of the spinach and cheese mixture, shape into a ball, then flatten to form a patty. Gently coat with seasoned flour. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Fill a large skillet halfway with water and bring to a boil. Carefully add the patties and poach for 3-4 minutes, or until they rise to the surface. Remove with slotted spoon, and transfer to individual plates or serving platter.
- Melt butter in a pan, add the garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour garlic butter over the patties, season with black pepper to taste, and serve immediately.