corning beef an old pennslylvania dutch recipeFrom robertg 9 years ago
- 5-10# beef bricket shopping list
- 1 cup salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 8 whole cloves with bud removed shopping list
- 8 bay leafs shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves,chopped shopping list
- 24 peppercorns shopping list
- 1 Tbd. vinegar shopping list
- 1 heaping tsp. saltpeter(from the drug stope) shopping list
- water to cover shopping list
How to make it
- remove excess fat.place in a deep stone crock. mix all the ingerdients,except water,and add to beef.
- add enough cold water to completly immerge meat.
- invert a plate over meat and weigh down with any non-metal object( I use a,well scrubbed)brick wrapped in foil.
- place in a cool,dark place for atleast a week can brine for several months
- you can cut off a piece for immediate use(after 14-16 days) and leave the rest for later.
- you can't over brine