Chocolate Guinness CakeFrom nikchick 7 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 1 cup Guinness shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup cocoa shopping list
- 2 cups superfine sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup sour cream shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 8 ounces cream cheese shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease and line with parchment paper a 9-inch springform pan.
- Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan and add the sliced butter. Heat until the butter is melted and remove from the heat. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla. Add the sour cream mixture to the Guinness mixture in the saucepan. Finally, beat in the flour and baking soda.
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined springform pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. (I baked mine for 53-55 minutes, checking with a toothpick for doneness and it came out well. Your oven may vary.) Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the powdered sugar and cream cheese together until well combined and creamy. Add the cream and beat again until it's a spreadable consistency. I found slowly adding the cream and beating the icing very well gave excellent results. At first there seems like a lot of frosting for just the top of a 9-inch cake but don't skimp! The idea is to frost the top of the cake until it resembles the frothy head of a pint of Guinness. It's quite dramatic and lovely.
The Cooknikchick Seattle, WA
The Rating5 people
I love this cake, made it for my fiance and sister and the batter as well as the finished product were the tastiest chocolate goodies I have had in a LONG time!jo_jo_ba in Oshawa loved it
Oh Im Making this for the 4th...Thanks so much.....yummy..paprikamama in Lake Mary loved it
Oooooo.. My brother just left gave me an oven and this is going to be my first recipe tomorrow!!! Thanx.mbe in Vancouver loved it