Simple Delicious Ham And Potato SoupFrom wolfpackjack 6 years ago
- 3-1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes (whichever are your favorites) shopping list
- 1/3 cup diced celery shopping list
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion shopping list
- 3/4 ++ cup diced ham (the Hormel's or Smithfield's precooked and cubed works great... I used 2 packages). shopping list
- 3-1/4 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules shopping list
- 1/2 tspn salt or to taste (careful here if you use salted ham) shopping list
- 1 tspn white or black pepper or to taste shopping list
- 5 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups milk (I used half and half) shopping list
- Chopped parsley - for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Combine potatoes, celery, onions, ham, and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over med-low heat. Whisk in flour stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. (Before I made the roux here, I took 2 minced cloves and sweated them in a Tbsp of olive oil..then the butter and roux)
- Slowly stir in milk, careful to not allow lumps to form until all the milk is added... then continue stirring over med-low heat until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook until heated through.
- Serve Immediately.....
- Make couch reservations and keep a pillow handy!!!
The Cookwolfpackjack Raleigh, NC
The Rating12 people
Today it was cold here. About 50. I fixed broc and cheese soup and tater soup, forgot I had ham in freezer so used bacon, with egg dumplings.gingerlea in Tampa loved it
This sounds delicious, hearty and good for chilly weather comfort indeed, Dave. I am thinking of some hot, buttered buttermilk cornbread wedges on the side and some icy brews. *Bliss* I am saving your recipe for further culinary perusal...hehe. Th...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
Oh boy, does this sound hearty and good, I must make this before we hit our hot summer month. Great post, you have my 5henrie in Savannah loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!