Cranberry Streusel CakeFrom chihuahua 6 years ago
- For the Cake: shopping list
- 9 ounces (2 C) all-purpose Flour; more for the pan shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 table salt shopping list
- 4 onces (1/2 C) unsalted butter, well softened at room temperature; more for the pan shopping list
- 1 1/3 C Granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature shopping list
- 1 C plain, low-fat yogurt shopping list
- 1/2 fresh cranberries, chopped shopping list
- For the Streusel: shopping list
- 1/4 C packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 2 Tbl. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 2 Tbl. cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces shopping list
- 1/4 C chopped walnuts shopping list
- 1/4 C fresh cranberries, chopped shopping list
- (Add Topping 40 minutes into baking rather than at the beginning, so topping doesn't sink too far into cake.) shopping list
How to make it
- Make the Cake:
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt until blended.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until well blended, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium low and add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated. (Do not over-mix.)
- Using a wide rubber spatula, alternately fold the flour mixture and the yogurt into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Add the chopped cranberries with the last addition of flour.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Make the Streusel:
- While the cake is baking, combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter and mix, using a fork, until the ingredients are well blended and form small crumbs.
- Stir in cranberries.
- After the cake has baked for 40 minutes, sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top of the cake. Continue baking until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on wire rack, (helps air circulate and will keep the cake from getting soggy on the bottom), until warm or room temperature. Cut into squares and serve.
The Cookchihuahua Sonoma County, USA
The Rating4 people
I HAVE to have this! I love all things cranberry.grandmommy in Nashville loved it
I LOVE cranberries! This sounds like it would be good as a coffee cake with tea, or after dinner with coffee as dessert. A definite save and must-try. Thanks! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!