Nouveau Fried Green TomatoesFrom greekgirrrl 8 years ago
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten shopping list
- 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/3 cup cornmeal shopping list
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 pound green tomatoes sliced 1/2-inch thick shopping list
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- generous sprinkling of white pepper shopping list
- Crème fraîche with chopped chives for serving shopping list
- Garnish with basil leaves shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Put the eggs in another medium bowl and toss the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan in a third bowl.
- Dredge the tomato slices in the flour/cornmeal/bread crumbs/white pepper mixture, then coat them in the egg, letting any excess drip back into the bowl.
- Coat in the bread crumbs, pressing to help them adhere.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
- Add the breaded tomatoes in a single layer and cook them over moderately high heat, turning once, until deeply golden and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the tomato slices to paper towel—lined plates.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with Crème fraîche drizzle and a basil sprig, nice with a few of the basil flowers and tender leaves.
- Variations: Instead of white pepper use Old Bay Seasoning.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating9 people
Are these "Green Tomatoes" or unripened Red tomatoes.
I Grow Green Tomatoes that are still green when ripe.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
YES, YES, YES!!! We in the South love our fried green tomatoes and this puts it over the top! You have my 5!grandmommy in Nashville loved it
Love this recipe! Thanks!possumqueen in Small Town loved it