5 layers chocolate meringue cakeFrom ahmed1 8 years ago
- cake Batter: shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 cup (140 grams) all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) (114 grams) unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk shopping list
- Meringue Layer: shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- 2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated white sugar shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1 tablespoon (28 grams) granulated white sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) ground almonds shopping list
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) finely grated semi-sweet chocolate shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter and line the bottoms of two - 8 x 1 1/2 inches (20 x 3.75 cm) round cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs in separate bowls. Cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans. Set aside while you make the meringue layer.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Evenly divide the meringue and place on top of the cake batter in the two pans, gently smoothing the tops . Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. The meringue layers will be crisp to the touch but soft inside. Place the pans on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the whipped cream:
- In a large mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla extract, and sugar and stir to combine. Beat the mixture until stiff peaks form. Fold in the ground almonds and chocolate.
- To Assemble Cake:
- Place one of the cake layers, meringue side down, on a serving platter. Spread with the whipping cream. Gently place the second cake layer, cake side down so the meringue layer is facing up, onto the first layer. Garnish as you desire. The original recipe used fresh strawberries and icing sugar, but I used melted chocolate as you see in the picture.
- N.B Chill in the fridge immediately and take it out if the fridge 20 minutes before serving
The Cookahmed1 Cairo, EG
The Rating21 people
Oh My gosh... this is tooooo much, Ahmed!!!!!! Mmmmmmmm............ believe me... This is the extreme!
Just SOOO GOOOOOOOD! thanks.berry in Winter Park loved it
I wrote a little note in your main pict.berry in Winter Park loved it
I really love the look of it. Rough around the edges, but tasty. Great recipe!liezel in Bloemfontein loved it