Mr Daniels Dastardly FruitcakeFrom danadooley 7 years ago
- 1 box Betty Crocker chocolate fudge cake mix shopping list
- 1 can pitted dark cherries - very thoroughly drained and halved shopping list
- 1 bottle Jack Daniels - you might not need it all .... probably ... maybe, oh well, it's Christmas *shrug* shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips shopping list
- 1 cup oil OR melted butter shopping list
- 1 cup whole sour cream shopping list
- 1 cup cherry soaking liquid (see below) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp 'double acting' baking powder shopping list
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 level tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- 2 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- ~~~~~~ chocolate glaze INGREDIENTS ~~~~~~ shopping list
- 300 gm 50% dark chocolate shopping list
- 4 scant tbs butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup hot coffee shopping list
How to make it
- Day before : Put drained and halved cherries in a small bowl and cover completely with bourbon. Cover and leave to soak for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 10 inch round cake pan.
- Remove cherries from soaking liquid. Set aside liquid for later use. You should have approx 1 cup
- Whisk eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Add oil OR butter, sour cream, soaking liquid, cake mix, baking powder and spices. Mix thoroughly with whisk.
- Fold in chocolate chips and cherries then pour batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes before turning down temperature to 165 degrees. Continue baking for another 50 minutes or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out more or less clean and cake starts to pull away from side of pan.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan.
- When cold, pour one teacup of bourbon evenly all over cake. Cover and keep. The next day, pour 3/4 cup bourbon evenly all over cake. Cover and keep. On the third day pour 1/2 cup bourbon evenly all over cake. Cover and keep.
- The next day, place the dark chocolate and butter in a bowl and microwave on medium for 2 minutes. Remove, stir and microwave another 2 minutes on medium. Stir till completely melted and combined. Pour in hot coffee and whisk till smooth. Cool till comfortably warm but still pourable.
- Invert cake out of pan and unto a cooling rack with a catching tray underneath. Pour melted chocolate over cake all at once. Gently shake cake from side to side to help chocolate spread evenly. It should spread and level out by itself but if it doesn't, use a spatula to spread and cover cake. . Allow frosting to set before cutting.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The Cookdanadooley Singapore, SG
The Rating8 people
Mummm I like Mr Daniels!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
Me and Jack go way back!!! **grin** Gets my 5!! ;)angelgal in New Philadelphia loved it
Wow, that sounds awesomely rich and delicious. I need to try that for Christmas this year. I made some muffin-cup fruitcakes last year, but everyone was too stigmatized about green fruit to try mine (which was just a dense, alcohol-laced cake with d...moreaimee in Studio City loved it