Cuban Arroz Con PolloFrom ebonyeyedenigma 9 years ago
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, shopping list
- 1 Tbsp butter, shopping list
- 2 lbs chicken pieces (legs, thighs, halved breasts) shopping list
- 1/2 cup achiote oil (recipe below, or olive oil and a pinch of saffron) shopping list
- 1 spanish (white) onion, small diced shopping list
- 1 green pepper, small diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup Spanish olives, sliced shopping list
- 2 cups valencia rice (regular long grain will work) shopping list
- 1/4 cup basic tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of pilsner beer (I like to use Pacifico) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin shopping list
- 2 tsp oregano shopping list
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (I love Tapatio) shopping list
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper shopping list
- for the achiote oil: shopping list
- 1 cup olive oil shopping list
- 2 Tbsp annatto (achiote) seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil and seeds in a saute pan over medium heat until the seeds start to sizzle. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and once the seeds start to give off aroma and darken, strain the seeds from the oil. Do not overcook, the seeds will burn and become very bitter. Whatever you don't use right away can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week.
- For the arroz con pollo:
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Season the chicken with salt and
- pepper. In a large pan over medium high heat, add a Tbsp of olive oil and a Tbsp of butter. Saute the chicken until nicely browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and put aside.
- In the same pan, add the achiote oil (if you can't do achiote oil use
- olive oil and just add a pinch of saffron). Saute the onion, green
- pepper, garlic, scallions for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the rice and cook a few minutes until it's well coated with the oil. Put the chicken back in the pan and coat the chicken with the oil. Add the olives, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, beer, chicken stock, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and give it a few more stirs.
- Bring it to a boil, cover, and place in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes and then remove the pan from the oven. Keep it
- covered and let it sit for 10 minutes. Uncover it and fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Serves 4-6
The Cookebonyeyedenigma Seattle, WA
The Rating19 people
Wow, that dish is muy beautiful!!! A great recipe, perhaps one to make with a friend.
Would one drink a pilsner with this once it's finished, or a wine, or...?misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
Hello, Ebonyeyedenigma :) I, too, adore Arroz con Pollo, and this recipe sounds like an excellent version of it! Thank you for posting it!kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
Another great recipe - I love the complexity of flavors here. Arroz con Pollo is just one of the best comfort dishes ever.
Hope you're having a great day, Annie...
~Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it