Moms Leaf Lettuce In CreamFrom krumkake 5 years ago
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half (regular milk just doesn’t seem to work with this - the heavy cream version is my favorite, but half-and-half will do in a pinch!) shopping list
- ¼ cup sugar shopping list
- ¼ cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped into bite size pieces (I like to chop mine quite small) shopping list
- ½ sweet onion, sliced into thin rings and the rings then cut in half shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- NOTE: I only used about 1/2 of the cream dressing for 1 head of romaine - just keep adding and tossing until the leaves have a light coating of it. shopping list
How to make it
- Clean the romaine, if needed, and cut into small pieces.
- Slice the onion and toss it with the lettuce.
- Salt and pepper the salad (yes, you put the salt and pepper directly on the lettuce and onion, not in the dressing - don’t ask me why…it’s just how my mother did it and it works!)
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, pour in the heavy cream or half-and-half.
- Stir in the sugar and whisk well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in the vinegar, whisking until the mixture thickens just a bit.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce and onions and toss well.
- Serve immediately.
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating10 people
I must have read this wrong I thought it said "ice Cream". I figured lettuce ice cream would be refreshing! hahaha but actually, this looks a lot better.. sorry still cracking myself up...hahaha
Thanks for a great recipe. I need reading glasses...moregreekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Oh wow, this brings back memories. Thanks for that Krum. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
This is teriffic!pleclare in Framingham loved it