SpaetzleFrom turtle66 5 years ago
How to make it
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg-milk mixture
- Gradually draw in the flour from the sides and combine well
- the dough should be smooth and thick. Let the dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes
- Bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot, then reduce to a simmer. To form the spaetzle, hold a large holed colander or slotted spoon over the simmering water and push the dough through the holes with a spatula or spoon. Do this in batches so you don't overcrowd the pot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the spaetzle floats to the surface, stirring gently to prevent sticking. Dump the spaetzle into a colander and give it a quick rinse with cool water
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the spaetzle; tossing to coat. Cook the spaetzle for 1 to 2 minutes to give the noodles some color, and then sprinkle with the chopped chives and season with salt and pepper before serving.
The Cookturtle66 Sacramento, CA
The Rating9 people
Love it! Saved it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
I just love spaetzle! You can even add them to veggies, like green beans. Great post!shepherdrescue in Lake Forest loved it
I haven't had spaetzle in years, I use to work for a German couple and they loved to cook for me...their spaetzle and potato pancakes were my favorite...I will have to give this one a go.debwin in Toronto loved it