Chile Relleno CasseroleFrom lasaf 7 years ago
- 2 pounds pablano chilies (8-12), or 4 cans (4 ounces each) whole peeled green chilies, drained shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 onion chopped shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or crushed through a press shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teasppon ground cumin shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- 1/4 cup AP flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (2 large beefsteak or 6 medium), halved, cored, and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick. shopping list
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese shopping list
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions shopping list
How to make it
- Roast the pablano chilies by placing them directly in the flame of a gas burner turned to high, or about 3 inches below an electric broiler. Turn them frequently until blistered and charred all over. Let them cool for a minute or two, then place in a plastic bag and let cool to room temparature. Rub away the skin with your fingers. Do not rinse(you knew that). Slit the peppers and scrape out the seeds. Cut off the stems and cut the peppers into 2 inch squares.
- Preheat the oven to 350 dgrees.
- Lightly oil an 8x12 inch casserole.
- Spoon the oil into a medium skillet and place over moderate heat. Add the onion and saute to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. If the mixture seems too dry add 1 tablespoon water.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the eggs, cream cheese, milk, cilantro, flour, and salt; blend till smooth.
- Arrange half the pablanos in the baking dish; top with half the tomato slices. Spoon on the onion mixture in an even layer. Scatter 3/4 cup each cheese over the onion mixture. Sprinkle with scllions. Pour 1/2 the egg mixture over all. Arrange the remaining pablanos on top, and then layer with remaining tomato slices. Pour on the remaing egg mixture and top with remaining cheese.
- bake for 35 to 40 minutes until deep golden brown and bubbly around the edges. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve hot.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cooklasaf St. Paul, MN
The Rating7 people
I love chile rellenos and this casserole sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing it; I'm saving your recipe to try soon. :) Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it
What a GREAT "Twist" on a "Classic" recipe!
I must try this very soon....Because it is without a doubt....a ..."5"FORK!!!!! This recipe is also wonderful for 'Veggie Eaters'!...I have quite a
few of these "folk" in my large ...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
I love chili rellanos...it's my fave, but what a poin to make....this sounds like it will be so worth the effort. thanks for sharing this one!rockyruby in SANDUSKY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!