Mississippi Chocolate and Coffee CakeFrom shandy 5 years ago
- For the Cake: shopping list
- 2 c. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 t. baking soda shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 1 3/4 c. strong brewed coffee shopping list
- 1/4 c. bourbon shopping list
- 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate shopping list
- 1 c. butter shopping list
- 2 c. sugar shopping list
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 t. vanilla extract shopping list
- For chocolate Icing: shopping list
- 6 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate shopping list
- 4 1/2 T. butter shopping list
How to make it
- For the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line pan with parchment paper. Grease sides of cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the top of a double boiler, I use a metal bowl set on top of a pan of simmering water, heat the coffee, bourbon, chocolate, and butter, stirring until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Let the mixture cool for 3 minutes and transfer to an electric mixer. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, half a cup at a time, and beat medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely in the pan. When cooled, turn out onto a serving plate.
- For Chocolate Icing: Combine the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler or bowl resting over a pan of simmering water and stir over low heat until they are melted and combined. Cool slightly and the ice cake.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating11 people
And now I see you're going hardcore on me, bringing out the rich, dense chocolate - that picture made me swoon (there's an old word for you!)...why, oh why, can't we have scratch and sniff on a computer monitor...Bill Gates, get to it!!!!krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
This cake looks divine. It's so nice to see your recipes tonight!michellem in Idaho loved it
OMG.....what a beautiful picture and the sounds of this has me drooling. Yummers, yummers, yummers. Great post and a high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!