CassouletFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- 16 oz cannellini beans soaked overnight in water shopping list
- 1 onion, quartered shopping list
- 1 carrot shopping list
- 1 celery stick shopping list
- Bouquet Garni: 4 parsley sprigs, 2 thyme sprigs, 2 bay leaves, whole allspice or cloves, tied with string in cheesecloth shopping list
- 4 garlic sausages, preferably Toulousain (sometimes I use Boudin Blanc) shopping list
- 4 duck confit legs (optional) shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic, crushed shopping list
- 4 oz pancetta, finely chopped shopping list
- 6-8 fl oz of chicken stock (I use "more than gourmet" Fond de Poulet Gold® roasted chicken stock, diluted in water) shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste shopping list
- bread Crumb Topping: shopping list
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbsp melted butter with a smashed clove of garlic shopping list
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, made from french baguette in food processor shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the beans: Place the beans in a stock pot and add about 7 cups of water, enough to cover by 2 inches above beans. Add quartered onion, celery stick, carrot and Bouquet Garni. Bring to boil then cover and cook on low heat until beans are tender, about an hour. Don't cook too long because then the beans will get too mushy and fall apart.
- Note: Every now and again you will need to remove the froth and scum that rises onto the surface. While the beans are cooking you have time to prepare the rest of ingredients.
- Saute the pancetta in a skillet until fat is rendered and pancetta is crisp. With a slotted spoon remove pancetta, leave drippings. Next saute the sausage until golden brown. Remove. In same pan, saute the chopped onion and garlic until soft and slightly caramelized. Once the sausage have cooled down cut them into 4 pieces.
- Strain the water from the beans. Remove the carrot, the onion, the celery and Bouquet Garni.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients: Take a casserole dish and start by putting some white beans in and then the sauted onion, crisp pancetta and the sausage. Mix in some salt and pepper to taste. Cover with the boiling stock and wine. Place in oven and bake for 2 hours or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Take out of oven and top with the bread crumb mixture. Bake another 30 minutes.
- To serve:
- Spoon cassoulet unto serving platters, garnish with fresh parsley leaves
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating7 people
I love cassoulets. My mouth is watering. This sounds like keeper... Thanks ....... Jim
jimrug1 in Peoria loved it
OH gosh...this sounds sinful...I gotta try this one day...hubby loves beans and meat THANKS FOR POSTING =0)vicschick in Brooklyn loved it
Ok, this recipe just made me into a fan of your cooking! Merci!elgab89 in Toronto loved it