Chicken YakitoriFrom luisascatering 8 years ago
- marinade (important: reserve 1/2 a cup) shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed shopping list
- ½ inch slice of fresh ginger, lightly crushed shopping list
- 1 cup soy sauce shopping list
- ¾ cup sugar shopping list
- ½ cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice cooking wine) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil shopping list
- 1½ pounds all natural skinless, boneless chicken thighs shopping list
- 1 large bunch scallions, mostly the thicker parts, cut into 1½-inch lengths shopping list
- cucumber & Sesame Salad on side: shopping list
- Thinly sliced peeled cucumbers shopping list
- Chopped romaine hearts, sweet gem lettuce leaves (or butter lettuce) shopping list
- toasted sesame seeds shopping list
- Mix all the below for the dressing: shopping list
- 1/2 cup quality mayonnaise shopping list
- 1/4 cup honey shopping list
- 2 teaspoons seasoned rice wine vinegar shopping list
- 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil to taste (careful, it's strong!) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut chicken into uniform 1½-inch pieces.
- Place garlic and ginger in large zip lock bag. Crush with rolling pin (or wine bottle!) Add the remaining liquid ingredients. With a measuring cup scoop out 1/2 cup; set aside. Add the 1 teaspoon of peanut oil to the marinade in the zip lock bag (this helps the meat not stick on grill) Marinade chicken for 2-4 hours in refrigerator.
- On each skewer, thread alternating pieces of chicken and scallions, pressing them together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Take reserved 1/2 cup of marinade and place over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until syrupy, 5 to 10 minutes .Strain into small bowl and cool to room temperature
- Heat an outdoor charcoal grill. Position the skewers 4 to 5 inches from the heat source, placing yakitori on grill so that ends of skewers are not over direct heat. Sear meat by continually turning skewers for about 2 minutes. Baste with sauce and turn occasionally until chicken is cooked, 8 to 10 minutes. When chicken is done it should feel firm. Take off heat and immediately glaze with reduced sauce. Serve with cucumber & sesame salad on side.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating9 people
This sounds so divine!! My friends will love this. We will try this next week. Thanks!!mango in Marion loved it
Delicious and easy to make, too! Got my 5!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
My daughter will love this!mamalou in Attleboro loved it