Cheesecake Crack Problem SolvedFrom fizzle3nat 8 years ago
- Homemade cheesecake with an annoying crack on the top shopping list
How to make it
- Oops! The most common reason cheesecakes crack is because they're overbaked. Next time, check it 10 min. before the recipe suggests. Remove cake from oven when a 2 - 2 1/2 inch area around the cheesecake appears set when lightly jiggled. The cake should look wobbly (not soupy) in about a 3 inch circle in the center. Note: cheesecakes with cornstarch or flour do not typically crack as easily from overbaking.
- Maybe the cheesecake was baked too hot. Next time, try setting the oven to a lower temperature and baking a longer time. Follow above suggestion for doneness.
- Try baking the cheesecake in a waterbath. Prepare your springform pan by wrapping a double-thickness of foil on the outside of the pan over the bottom and up the sides. Place in a larger baking pan, and pour in boiling water almost to the level of the cheesecake in the pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 - 50 min. Check for doneness as above. Remove from waterbath immediately after removing from oven.
- Always cool cheesecakes completely to room temperature before chilling. I know the Food Police would probably not agree with this, as a cheesecake is technically a custard, but tough.
- Still have a crack? Sometimes it can't be helped, cheesecakes are funny that way. So now what? Cover it up! Use a sauce; caramel, chocolate or fruit coulis are great options. Or try this:
- Mix together 3 c. sour cream, 2/3 cup sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Spread over top of cheesecake and bake at 250 degrees F. for about 15 min. Cool completely to room temperature before chilling.
- HOPE THIS HELPS! GOOD LUCK! :)
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookfizzle3nat Waterville, WA
The Rating8 people
Thanks for all the good tips. That sour cream topping you suggested sounds good. Do you put it on after the cheesecake has completely finished baking, & while it's still hot out of the oven?
I want to try it but need to know first. Thanks agai...morebrianna in loved it
Excellent !greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
great ideas!midgelet in Eastern loved it