Lemon Meringue PieFrom coffeebean53 9 years ago
- Crust shopping list
- 1 c. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 TB each, cold butter,cut in pieces and shortening shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2-3 TB cold water shopping list
- Filling shopping list
- 1 1/4 c, sugar shopping list
- 1/3 c. cornstarch shopping list
- Yolks from 4 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 c. water shopping list
- 2 TB butter, cut up shopping list
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest shopping list
- Meringue shopping list
- Whites from 4 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
- 1/2 c. sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Pastry: In food processor, pulse flour with butter and shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. With motor running, add lemon juice, then water 1 TB at a time, just until dough leaves sides of bowl. Remove blade, then dough.
- Gather dough into a ball; press into a disk. Wrap with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll out.
- Heat oven to 425* F. You'll need a 9" pie plate. Roll dough on lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of wax paper to 12 " circle. Fit dough into pie plate, pressing gently onto bottom and up sides; crimp edge and freeze 15 minutes. Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden. Remove pie plate to wire rack to cool while making filling. Reduce oven temperature to 350*F.
- Filling: Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a 2 qt. Saucepan. Whisk in e.g. Yolks and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in water; continue stirring over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until filling is translucent and thick. Remove from heat. Add butter and lemon zest, stirring until butter melts. Pour hot filling into baked pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Gradually beat in sugar, 1TB. At a time, beating well after each addition until sugar dissolves. Beat 2 minutes longer or until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Spoon meringue around edge of filling; spread to edge of crust to seal. Spoon remaining meringue in center; spread and swirl with back of teaspoon to cover filling evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes or until meringue is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of meringue registers 160*F.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours. To serve, cut with a long-blade knife dipped in cold water.
People Who Like This Dish 47
The Cookcoffeebean53 Charlotte, NC
The Rating13 people
Perfect timing, as my husband just asked me if I would make him a lemon meringue pie! I haven't made one in years, so this will be the perfect new recipe to try...I will let you know how I do!krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
This is one of my all time favorite pies...my mom used to make these all the time... Im like Krum.. I havent made one in years.... Thanks...zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
5 stars, without a doubt...I made this today and my husband, daughter and I were unanimous - this one goes in the "please make again" box. The filling was wonderfully tart, the crust was so flaky and crisp (though my pie crust lining skills leave a ...morekrumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it