Easy Spanakopita Style SandwichesFrom grumblebee 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry shopping list
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese shopping list
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- pinch of ground nutmeg shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 8 slices of your favourite bread (i like thick, texas toast style) shopping list
- 8 slices (1 oz each) Monterey Jack or provolone cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in large fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add spinach; cook 5 minutes or until spinach is dry-ish.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl; stir in feta cheese, oregano and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 4 slices of cheese on 4 pieces of bread. Divide spinach mixture evenly among the 4 slices of bread; top with another piece of cheese and the 2nd slices of bread.
- Wipe out fry pan with paper towel; place over medium heat until hot and add a dollop of butter. Add sandwiches; cover with large lid. Cook sandwiches over low heat, around 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. (flip half way through cooking to get both sides toasty -- you could also use an indoor grill or panini press for this too)
People Who Like This Dish 17
The Cookgrumblebee Victoria, Canada
The Rating7 people
Sounds good to me and I'm Greek!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
WIll have to try this bee....I love Spanakopita, but hate to make it.linspj in New Hartford loved it
love the flavors and combo. thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!