Delicious Onion RingsFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 2 eggs beaten shopping list
- 1 pt milk shopping list
- 10 oz cake flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!) shopping list
- 1 oz parsley flakes shopping list
- 1/2 tsp paprika (optional: for added color) shopping list
- 3 lb onions -- large shopping list
- as needed --- flour shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, parsley flakes,and paprika together and add to the milk.
- Mix well.
- The batter should have the consistency of a thin pancake batter.
- Peel the onions and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Separate into rings (save unusable pieces for another purpose).
- Place the onions in cold water if they are not used immediately to maintain crispness.
- Drain and dry the onions thoroughly.
- Dredge with flour and shake off excess. (This step isn't always necessary, but it helps the batter adhere.)
- Dip a few pieces at a time in the batter and fry in deep fat (350°F) until golden brown. This only take a minute or two.
- Drain and serve immediately.
- There are some variations listed below you might also enjoy!
- Beer Batter
- Substitute light beer for the milk.
- Omit baking powder because the carbonation of the beer acts as a leavener.
- Buttermilk Batter
- Substitute buttermilk for the milk and use 1 tsp baking soda instead of the 2 tsp baking powder.
- Other Fried Vegetables:
- Try this with sweet potatoes, kohlrabi, cauliflower...... for a taste variety!
- ENJOY! :+D
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating61 people
Oh, yes, give me a bite of that!juels in Clayton loved it
Thisis a 5..... I do not like those beer batter recipes so I will be sticking with the milk. Thanks for sharingkytigger in Louisville loved it
One of my favorite things to eat! YUM!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!