New England Clam ChowderFrom babskitchen 6 years ago
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine shopping list
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 quarts (8 cups) milk shopping list
- 3 cans (6-1/2 oz. each) diced or chopped clams, drained shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. ground sage* shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed or celery salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. pepper shopping list
- Minced parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender. Meanwhile, in a large pot, sauté onions in butter until tender. Add flour; mix until smooth and cook for a minute. Slowly stir in milk (use a whisk, if necessary). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and somewhat bubbly (this will take a little bit of time - do not walk away, the bottom will begin to stick).
- Drain potatoes; add to large pot. Add clams and remaining ingredients; heat through.
- Serve with oyster crackers, or saltines with butter, or you can even serve it in a bread bowl.
- *I am not a big fan of sage so I only use a 1/2 tsp. If you like the taste, go ahead and use the whole tsp.
People Who Like This Dish 22
The Cookbabskitchen OH
The Rating8 people
Love clam chowder! Thanks! :)sharyl4 in Mohave Valley loved it
Sound delicious! I saved it and will definitely try it. *5*
Can I replace the canned clams with fresh or frozen ones? I am sure we don't have canned clams in Portugal.. it would be much easier if we did..gourmetana in London loved it
Good old fashioned comfort food.
Thank youtrigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!