Elaines Homemade Beef n cheese RavioliFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 2 lbs lean ground beef shopping list
- 1 can diced tomatoes, large size shopping list
- 3 oz dry red wine shopping list
- grated OLD cheese (amount to your preference) shopping list
- 3 tbsp dehydrated onion shopping list
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 ½ tsp basil shopping list
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!) shopping list
- parsley to taste (added at the end of cooking time) shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- ½ cup cold water shopping list
- 3 ½ cups best-for-bread flour shopping list
How to make it
- For the pasta:
- In a bowl, place the flour and the eggs
- Stir with a fork to combine
- Add the water
- Continue mixing until all is well combined
- Knead gently for about 5 minutes, then allow the dough to rest for ten, covered, so it doesn’t dry out
- After the resting period, break off fist-sized pieces of the pasta dough
- Keeping it well floured, roll the piece between the palms of your hands
- Next, place the chunk on the pasta machine (I use a hand-crank, because I find it gives the best control) on setting no. 1
- Pass it through.
- Turn the control knob to 2nd position, and pass the dough strip through again.
- Continue increasing the pressure size until the pasta strip is about 1/8th of an inch thick
- Now it’s ready for you to add the filling.
- The ravioli prep:
- Break the meat ( see under ‘the filling’) into small enough bite-size pieces to fit on the pasta, as illustrated in the pics provided.
- Top each bite with grated old cheese.
- Don’t overcrowd, or it will not seal and cut properly!
- Either fold over the other half of the pasta strip, OR make 2 strips, and set one on top of the other.
- Press down in between each bite to mark where you will cut with the cookie cutter.
- Press with the cookie cutter to bind both edges.
- Press and TWIST at the same time to ensure an even cut is made.
- Place the ravioli shapes on a plate, and allow to air-dry.
- Turn them over to dry the undersides after 1/2 hour or so.
- Leave air-drying until you’re ready to cook them.
- The drier they are, the better…
- The filling:
- Start with 2 slices of bacon in a saucepan.
- When cooked, break up into pieces.
- Add the ground beef.
- Add the dried onion
- Add the garlic powder
- Add salt to your preference of taste
- Simmer until the meat is cooked; turn off the heat.
- The sauce:
- To the remaining meat in the pan, add the can of tomatoes and 1 cup of cold water.
- Add salt to your taste preference.
- Add the green onions
- Add the dry red wine
- Simmer over low flame until the sauce begins to reduce
- To cook the ravioli:
- Add the ravioli directly to the sauce, and simmer until the pasta is tender.
- Cover with a lid to steam the pasta thoroughly.
- This is a very EASY dish, even though it might sound complicated.
- The only tricky part is in making the pasta.
- I’ve made pasta from ‘scratch’ for years, and it DOES take practice.
- So don’t be too critical of yourself if you make it for the first few times, and it doesn’t work out!!!
- If I can help walk you through it, PLEASE don’t hesitate to give me a shout.
- It is really not as hard to make as you might think.
- One word of advice --- don’t attempt to make pasta on a humid day.
- The humidity will not permit the gluten in the flour to work as well.
- Have fun with this recipe.
- It’s ALL homemade, and delicious.
- HAPPY COOKING! :+D
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating62 people
damn girl...took you an hour to type that!
i give you a 5 just for the labor!!!!
and another 5 for the recipe...
we need some of those smilley, gremlin things
so i can put smilleys on my commentsfrodo in meadville loved it
omg elaine fabulous darlin' fabulous and those pictures what a winner indeed very nice job does your fingers hurt you had to type so much hahaha
well worth it ...............a ten!!!!!!!!!!!!
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Yesss...Now that's what I'm talkin' about!! Thanks, Elaine, you rock!meals4abby in Valders loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!