PaellaFrom chefelaine 6 years ago
- 1 chicken 2.5-3 lb shopping list
- as needed --- olive oil shopping list
- 4 oz chorizo sausage [see note] shopping list
- 1 lb lean pork cut into large dice shopping list
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined shopping list
- 1 lb squid, cleaned shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper -- cut in large dice shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper -- cut in large dice shopping list
- 8 Small clams [have a few extra handy in case any are no good] shopping list
- 8 mussels shopping list
- 4 oz water shopping list
- as needed --- chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 tsp saffron shopping list
- 6 oz onion, small dice shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves -- minced shopping list
- 1 lb tomatoes shopping list
- 1 tsp dried rosemary shopping list
- 1 lb short-grain rice, such as Italian arborio shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- to taste --- pepper shopping list
- 2 oz Cooked green peas shopping list
- 8 lemon wedges shopping list
How to make it
- Cut each chicken into 8 pieces.
- In a large sauté pan, brown the chicken in olive oil.
- Remove and set aside.
- Using additional oil as needed, briefly sauté the sausage, pork, shrimp, squid, and peppers.
- Do each ingredient separately, then remove to separate containers.
- Combine the clams and mussels with the water in covered pot.
- Steam them just until they open
- *****. Any that do not open, toss them out. When they don't open, it means they were dead from the start, and could be contaminated.
- Remove the shellfish and set them aside.
- Strain the liquid, then add enough chicken stock to measure 2 qt
- Add the saffron to the stock mixture.
- In the skillet used for browning the meats, sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Use additional olive oil if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes and rosemary.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes form a rather dry paste.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the chicken, sausage, pork, squid, and peppers.
- Bring the stock mixture to a boil in a separate pot, then add to the rice and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and put in an oven heated to 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Check the moisture level and add more stock, if necessary.
- It should be quite moist but not soupy.
- Sprinkle the peas over the rice.
- Then arrange the shrimp, clams, and mussels on top.
- Cover loosely and let stand 10 minutes to heat the shellfish.
- For each portion, allow 8 oz rice and vegetables, 1 shrimp, 1 clam, 1 mussel, 1 piece of chicken, and at least 1 piece each of pork, sausage, and squid.
- Garnish each portion with 1 lemon wedge.
- If chorizo sausage is not available, use pepperoni sausage or other hard, spicy sausage.
- You may cut the sausage into 1/2-ounce chunks before sautéing or cut them up just before serving.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating65 people
The Ultimate Paella, Great recipe with easy step by step..Worth the effort to make this wonderful, wonderful dish , great dish chef! Markymarky90 in Dearborn loved it
Paella! Yummy! MMmmmmmmmmmmmm :) Great post Elaine! *5*gourmetana in London loved it
You make EVERYTHING sound easy, chefelaine! I thanks you for that and also send you a 5.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!