Barley And Lentil SoupFrom chacha 8 years ago
- 1-1/4 cups lentils, rinsed shopping list
- 1/2 cup pearl barley shopping list
- 6 cups water or 3 cups water and 3 cups vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 celery ribs, chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of either fresh or dried parsley (preferably fresh) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes or a dash of Tobasco sauce shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Place all ingredients except salt into a large pot and bring to a good simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and barley are tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Add salt to taste.
- Note: Cooking time depends on the method of cooking. If you are using a crock pot then I would suggest 6 hours.
- Should make enough to serve 6 - 8
- Nutrition information per serving: 78 calories, 4 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 150 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookchacha New York, NY
The Rating12 people
Love lentils and barley! This soup is right up my alley! Great for cold winter days.juels in Clayton loved it
I make my barley and lentil soup this same way.
Lately I have been using purple barley.
Five forks and a smile :)
Michaeltrigger in loved it
I fixed a half recipe of this three days ago. Then made a new batch again tonight. Great recipe! Thank you,
mark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it