Brown Sugar Buttercream FrostingFrom trigger 7 years ago
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Combine egg whites and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir together brown sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, washing down side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- When sugar syrup reaches boil, start beating whites with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until frothy, then add lemon juice and beat at medium speed until whites just hold soft peaks.
- (Do not beat again until sugar syrup is ready.)
- Meanwhile, put candy thermometer into sugar syrup and continue boiling until syrup reaches 238–242°F.
- Immediately remove from heat and pour into a heatproof 1-cup glass measure.
- Slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream down side of bowl into egg whites, beating constantly at high speed.
- Beat meringue, scraping down bowl with a rubber spatula, until meringue is cool to the touch, about 6 minutes. (It’s important that meringue is properly cooled before proceeding.)
- With mixer at medium speed, gradually add butter 1 piece at a time, beating well after each addition until incorporated.
- (If meringue is too warm and buttercream looks soupy after some of butter is added, briefly chill bottom of bowl in a large bowl filled with ice water for a few seconds before continuing to beat in remaining butter.)
- Continue beating until buttercream is smooth.
- (Mixture may look curdled before all of butter is added, but will come back together before beating is finished.)
- Add vanilla and beat 1 minute more.
The Cooktrigger MA
The Rating12 people
You won't believe this, michael, but I have been in search of the "ultimate" buttercream frosting.. this may just fill the bill. I thank you for yet another wonderful recipe post and award you my FF as well! Thanks and Happy New Year,
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
Oh my goodness. I love love love that sweet, almost smokey taste of brown sugar and this buttercream icing would be absolutely perfect on my butternut squash and pumpkin cake. Thanks for this great addition to my favorites and Happy New Year!
...moreboofie in Salt Lake City loved it
Wow fantastic i could use these on so many things michael very nice yummmm thanks for the alteration too....love it
five forks plus
hugs tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Family Favourites134 members
Sweet Suite159 members
FROM SCRATCH148 members
The Holiday Dessert Table124 members
Checkin Central284 members
MasterCook Recipes5 members
Little Rascals Favorites52 members
Checkins Round Table39 members
MOST REQUESTED RECIPES36 members