Basic All-american Brown GravyFrom chef_irish 6 years ago
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 cup ketchup shopping list
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 quart cold beef broth (as high-quality as possible) shopping list
- black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until the mixture is golden-brown and smells like cooked pie crust.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Whisk in cold beef broth, and then add the rest of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper. (May Not Need Salt)
- Bring to a simmer, whisking, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste, and add pepper....salt not needed.
- You May Add Sauteed Onions or Mushrooms to This Also!!!
The Cookchef_irish Gainesville, FL
The Rating10 people
This is a good one. I love mashed potatoes and gravy but sometimes don't have the meat drippings to make the gravydarlenel in West St Paul loved it
Mmmmm..the dijon mustard is tops with me!! I like to save the cooking water from my roasts and use that for gravy, too! But, as we all know...broth is always available on the shelf at home :o)
5!!!fab44me in Las Vegas loved it
I LOVE gravy........ and to thicken mine without lumping, I use rice flour --- works every time !!!! :+D
chefelaine in Muskoka loved it