Red Lentil Soup With LemonFrom luisascatering 8 years ago
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for drizzling shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- Pinch of ground chili powder or cayenne, more to taste shopping list
- 1 quart vegetable stock (recipe below) shopping list
- 1 cup split red lentils shopping list
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced shopping list
- juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- homemade vegetable stock: shopping list
- 1 leek. sliced and rinsed clean shopping list
- 3 medium sweet onions, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and chopped shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, rinsed and quartered shopping list
- 2 roma tomatoes, rinsed and quartered shopping list
- 1 head fennel (about 1 lb.), rinsed, and chopped shopping list
- Handful fresh parsley shopping list
- Handful fresh thyme shopping list
- Handful fresh oregano shopping list
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns shopping list
- kosher salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- For homemade vegetable stock:
- Place leek in an 8- to 10-quart pan. Add onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, fennel, parsley, thyme, oregano, peppercorns, salt and enough water to cover vegetables (about 2 qt.). Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep vegetables barely covered.
- Line a colander with a layer of cheesecloth (or use a large, fine wire strainer); set over a large bowl. Pour stock mixture into colander and drain vegetables well; discard vegetables. Reserve stock for use.
- For Lentil Soup:
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using an immersion or regular blender or a food processor, purée half the soup then add it back to pot. Soup should be somewhat chunky.
- Reheat soup if necessary, then stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Serve soup drizzled with good olive oil and dusted lightly with chili powder if desired.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating7 people
Luisa your stock for this Red Lentil Soup With Lemon soup is reminiscent of Chef Eric Tucker from the Millennium Restaurant San Francisco, CA who I visited and met while out that way in 2006.
It is outstanding an gives yo that rich full flavor t...moretrigger in loved it
perfect indeed!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
I am a sucker for Lentils. This is a great soup recipe. I love the spice combination and the homemade stock is awesome.. High Five Luisa..;-)~jimrug1 in Peoria loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!