Aztec SoupFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped shopping list
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 small butternut squash (cut into bite sized cubes) shopping list
- 8 cups of vegetable stock (homemade is always best so please see my stock recipe on my other soup recipes) shopping list
- 2 (16 ounce) cans organic diced fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen brand) shopping list
- 1 (19 ounce) can organic black beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 2 chicken and cilantro sausages, fully cooked & sliced shopping list
- 1 cup salsa verde (make your own or use all natural bottled) shopping list
- 1 cup quinoa (or rice if you can't find quinoa) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 cup fire roasted corn kernels (in frozen section of Trader Joe's) shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the bell pepper and jalapeno peppers and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chili and cumin and saute for a minute.
- Add the squash, stock, tomatoes, salsa verde, quinoa (or rice), beans, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper (and sausage, if using).
- Simmer until the squash is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the corn and cilantro.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime, avocado, sour cream and cheese. We also had warmed, whole wheat handmade tortillas on the side... nice!
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating13 people
Lovely recipe, Luisa! I love the chicken and cilantro sausages here, and the fact that you are using organic products here! The picture is beautiful too! 5 forks and a beauty flag!juels in Clayton loved it
Beth is a lucky woman to have a friend like you to cook for her.
I would not change anything in this recipe. It is perfect the way it is. Healthy and full of flavor. Thanks for sharing it...;-)jimrug1 in Peoria loved it
Chock full of flavors! Looks very healthy, are you sure it's good??? LOL...of course I'll try this, as I love the jalapenos and cilantro and salsa and...Thanks!conner909 in Southern Calif. loved it