SpaetzleFrom absinthebride 6 years ago
- 18 ounces of sifted all-purpose flour shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of heavy cream (I used half and half) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- Mix all ingredients and keep mixing until you think your arm is going to fall off. It is properly mixed when pepper and nutmeg are distributed evenly and spaetzle dough takes on a glossy quality.
- Take a handful of dough and place it on strainer over boiling, salted water, and start pushing it into the holes, rubbing back and forth, until most of the dough has fallen through.
- The trick is rubbing and rubbing the dough over the strainer and then when you have all the little spaetzles hanging off, move it closer to the water. The closer it is to the steam the more gooey and liquid it becomes, so it tends to fall through the holes when you move it closer. This is sometimes physically uncomfortable, but we do what we must for our food!
- Work in small batches, removing the cooked spaetzle (you'll know when it floats) before adding more.
- Coat with oil or butter to prevent them from sticking in the bowl once they've been removed from the water.
- When you're ready to serve, reheat them in a skillet with butter.