Portobello Crostata Con Spinaci E MarinaraFrom keni 6 years ago
For Pastry Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but keep cool shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter or 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 8oz fresh baby portobellos, sliced shopping list
- 1 small or 1/2 large red onion, diced shopping list
- 8oz container ricotta cheese shopping list
- 2 cups Mozzarella, grated shopping list
- 1t fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar shopping list
- 2 -3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1t garlic powder shopping list
For Quick and Simple Marinara*
- 1 15oz can diced Italian style tomatoes, drained shopping list
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2t fresh Italian herbs, minced(oregano, basil, etc) shopping list
- 1t baking soda(IF you want to lower the acidic taste of the sauce without changing the flavor) shopping list
- sea or kosher salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan, grated shopping list
- *Please feel free to use your own marinara or even your favorite simple jarred variety. This one was made up sepcifically for this recipe because I wanted it to compliment, but not compete with, the pastry :) shopping list
How to make it
For Pastry Tart
- Spray large cookie sheet or similar pan with cooking spray.
- Lay pastry sheet on tray, all sections opened. See Photo
- Carefully roll sheet with small rolling pin or similar, to an create an area approx 10X12 or so, rectangle.
- With fork, poke several holes in bottom of pastry, but do this only towards the middle of the pastry, not around the edges.
- Combine beaten egg and garlic powder and lightly brush entire surface of pastry. See Photo
- Melt butter in large skillet(I use cast iron) and add onion. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook a few more minutes See Photo. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- In large glass bowl, combine ricotta and Mozzarella cheeses, lemon juice, fresh ground pepper, salt and the mushrooms and onion See Photo. Mix well.
- Spread mixture over pastry leaving about 1 inch around all edges. See Photo
- Lay spinach across top of mushroom mixture in single or double layer.(I did one layer, but will do 2, next time) See Photo
- Carefully bring sides up just slightly over spinach mixture, "tucking" slightly at the corners to form a very short rim around mixture. See Photo
- Bake at 400 for about 17-20 minutes until lightly browned. See Photo
- Combine all ingredients and let simmer entire time you are preparing, and cooking, the pastry.
- Cut sections of pastry into serving sizes. Top with a spoonful of marinara and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- This is really good served with grilled Italian sausage links!
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating1 people
I've been wanting to make this for a while now & am doing it for dinner tonight. I'm about to put in in the oven, had to make a few changes to suit what I had on hand. First, I bought Pillsbury Pizza Dough b/c they didn't have puff pastry. Second...moreDetroitTokyo in Detroit loved it
YUMMM!! We loved this! Will be making it again. Thanks, Keni :)DetroitTokyo in Detroit loved it