Tortilla Soup In A Crock PotFrom DetroitTokyo 4 years ago
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 5 cups chicken stock/broth shopping list
- 2 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed (about one lime) shopping list
- 1 15oz. can tomatoes with green chillies (do not drain) shopping list
- 1 4oz. can green chillies, drained shopping list
- 1 15oz. can corn, drained shopping list
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained shopping list
- 1 15oz. can pinto beans, drained shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin shopping list
- 1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp chili powder (to your tastes, I used 3/4 tsp) shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano (Mexican if possible) shopping list
- salt to taste (I used 1/2 tsp) shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken (boneless skinless breasts) shopping list
- 1 12oz. jar salsa verde shopping list
- avocado, pitted & cubed shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
- salsa shopping list
- shredded cheese shopping list
- fresh pico de gallo (I did not have this on hand) shopping list
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 lime, cut into wedges/slices shopping list
- fried tortilla strips (below) or tortilla chips shopping list
- 2 1/2 tsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 6-8 corn tortillas (or flour if you prefer), cut into 1/2 inch strips shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Begin with the chicken. Rinse breasts, pat dry and place in bottom of Crock Pot. Pour salsa verde over the top of it and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Once cooked, shred with a fork (or two if it's easier). Clean out Crock Pot for future use.**
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add onion & cook until softened. Then add garlic & cook for another minute or two, stirring often.
- Place cooked chicken, onions, and garlic in the bottom of Crock Pot. Then add chicken stock, tomatoes (with liquid), corn, beans, lime juice, chillies. Finally season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, and salt. (Go lightly on the chili if you don't care for very spicy and also note that flavors get stronger over time in the Crock.) Cook on high 6-8 hours or on low for 10-12 hours.
- When ready to serve, heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add half the tortilla strips, stirring often until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with remaining 1/2 tsp oil & tortilla strips. Place a small layer of tortilla strips , cilantro, and a bit of shredded cheese in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup into bowl & top with desired garnish.
- ¡buen provecho!
- **Note: If you do not want to slow cook the chicken, or do not have the time there are two other options. One would be to use a store-bought rotisserie chicken. Or you may season the chicken breasts with taco seasoning (I suggest Best Ever Taco Seasoning Mix), then cook in a saute pan with a small amount of vegetable/olive oil or grill. Once done, cut into bite sized cubes.
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
The Rating3 people
Looks great, DT... I'll prolly do the grilled chicken route and use Share Bear's Latin Seasoning Mix, but other than those lil differences, this is gonna be by the recipe, I think! :) Thanks for adding it.keni in Sweet Home loved it
Made this today and it was fantastic. It made a ton, which around here, is the way to go! :) I used all your recommended ingredients but also added some bell and jalapeno peppers and extra spices, per taste. I used the slow cooker, which was why ...morekeni in Sweet Home loved it
WOW. All kinds of good flavors bouncing around in this dish. Sure to give me dreams. It filled my crock pot to the brim. Didn't think everything would fit. Very nice recipe DT.
See also: morepointsevenout in Athens loved it