Egg RollsFrom DetroitTokyo 4 years ago
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken (I used poached chicken)* shopping list
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 celery stalk, diced shopping list
- 1 carrot, shredded shopping list
- 2 green onions, diced shopping list
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded (I used purple) shopping list
- 6 mushrooms, diced (I used baby bella but use any type you like) shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used canola) shopping list
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil shopping list
- 1 tbsp soy sauce shopping list
- pinch of sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 2 tbsp water shopping list
- vegetable oil for frying (I used canola) shopping list
- 8 egg roll wrappers (I used Nasoya brand, found in the produce section) shopping list
- *Note: You may substitute any other type of protein here (ex: beef/pork/shrimp/tofu) or leave it out altogether. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil & sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sprouts, celery, carrot, onion, cabbage, mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes. Add soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Toss to combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a colander in the sink and let strain so excess moisture is expelled.
- Combine cornstarch with water and mix well to create a paste.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl and mix with cooked chicken.
- Place about 2-3 tbsp veggie mixture in middle of egg roll wrapper (you want the wrapper in front of you like a diamond not a square). Fold from the bottom, tucking tightly. Place a bit of paste on remaining outer edges. Fold the corners from each side over and press to secure. Roll remaining part, be gentle but sure that you are rolling tight enough. Repeat with remaining wrappers. Cover rolls with plastic wrap as you go.
- Heat about 4 inches of oil in a medium stock pot or frying pan to 350F. Carefully place rolls in seam side down. Fry for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- You may also bake these. Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place egg rolls on sheet, seam side down. Brush with olive oil/spray with olive oil/spray with cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- To reheat, preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 28
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
The Rating1 people
Oh yesssssss.....they're beautiful! Awesome post Dahlia! I love it!chuckieb in Ottawa loved it
Made these last night as an appy and had a blast! I'd never made Egg Rolls before. They were tasty and yummy and easy and met with thumbs up from all family members. Great recipe post Dahlia. Thanks so much! More in IMI
morechuckieb in Ottawa loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!