Shrimp EmpanaditasFrom trigger 6 years ago
- FOR THE FILLING shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or canola oil shopping list
- 1/2 of an onion chopped shopping list
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- 2 lbs ripe roman tomatoes chop them up shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- sea salt shopping list
- fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons capers shopping list
- 4 hot peppers minced shopping list
- 8 pimento olives shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of the pickling liquid fro olives shopping list
- DOUGH shopping list
- 1 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature shopping list
- 2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour shopping list
- a pinch of sea salt or to taste shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
How to make it
- MAKE THE DOUGH by beating together the butter and the cream cheese until it is all blended together.
- Stir in the sea salt and the flour and mix well.
- Knead the dough for a minute (until it holds together) no longer.
- Form it into a ball wrap in plastic wrap and chill for half an hour.
- MAKE THE FILLING
- Heat the oil add the onion and sauté until translucent then add the garlic
- Cook for another 2 minutes and add the tomatoes, capers, hot peppers and pimento olives the sea salt and the bay leaf * cumin.
- Add the shrimp.
- Simmer until mixture is dry and set aside to cool completely, about a half hour.
- Taste before stuffing into pastry and add salt and spice to your liking.*
- *I sometimes add cumin at this point or during the cooking about a teaspoon.
- Remove the bay leaf before stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Grease a baking sheet with a little oil
- MAKE EMPANADITAS "TURNOVERS"
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface until about 1/8 inch thick
- Use a 3 inch round cookie cutter and to cut out rounds.
- Using a teaspoon fill each round by placing a heaping spoon in the center of the dough then fold over and seal the edges with a fork.
- Beat the egg with a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash and paint it onto each turnover.
- Bake until golden brown about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and serve while still warm
- Oh so good do not eat so many your self leave some for the guest.
People Who Like This Dish 48
The Cooktrigger MA
The Rating13 people
Oh my these look good...can you come cater my party!?michellem in Idaho loved it
I wanna try this right away!jeannej in Raleigh loved it
very nice!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it