Fairy CakesFrom lor 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 7 Tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 3/4 cup self-rising cake flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- Note: I have used 1/2 teaspoon almond extract instead of the suggested 1 tsp.vanilla extract and the flavour is amazing. shopping list
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk shopping list
- This is your typical hard Icing: shopping list
- Note: I do not like this icing recipe because it dries out too quickly and believe me, when I say dries it hardens and dries. Not my suggestion. I prefer a butter cream icing for these dainties. shopping list
- 1 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 3-4 drops lemon juice shopping list
- food coloring shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking cups.
- Put all the ingredients except for the milk into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel to make for a soft consistency.
- It doesn't seem like enough, but you can get enough into each baking cup, just scrape it all out and try to fill each one equally.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden on top.
- Cool on a wire rack, but remove from the tin as soon as possible.
- Before you decorate, slice off any mounded tops so you have a flat surface to decorate.
- Mix the sugar, egg white and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and creamy, it should have the consistency of heavy cream Nigella always breaks the batch into smaller batches so she can have different colours.
- In Nigella Lawson's cookbook they show the "Fairy Cakes" topped with rosebuds and little sugared daisies and fresh berries.
- Use your imagination.
- NOTE: I personally do not cut any of the top off!!! I prefer the rounded look and I don't like to waste.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating11 people
This is great!smooch in America loved it
Oh my gosh. I grew up with Fairy Cakes and this is a great recipe. I'm so excited because since arriving here in the USA, I haven't had the time to prepare my childhood recipes. Thanks for this great 5 fork favourite.mishi in loved it
sounds Delicous would also use the butter cream frosting love the recipe thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it