Pork And SauerkrautFrom possumqueen 6 years ago
- 1 pork butt - about 5# - don't trim the fat (I usually buy one with a little fat - if it has too much you can trim it a little) shopping list
- 1 large jars/packs (32 oz) of Silver Floss (or your fav) sauerkraut shopping list
- 2 - 4 cups water shopping list
- Coarsely Ground fresh cracked pepper - to taste (this is a must have or at least the the coarse ground pepper you can buy - none of that fine ground stuff) shopping list
- salt - to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse pork and pat dry
- Season pork on all sides with season salt and coarse ground fresh cracked pepper
- Place fat side down in hot pot and sear for 5 minutes to render fat - then sear on each side for 5 minutes each
- Add water then sauerkraut
- Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer
- Cook (simmer) until meat is tender and has fallen apart - about 2 hours or so
- Keep an eye on the juice level - if it cooks out add more water - about a cup or two more should do it - you want it to be juicy but not watery
- Taste - reseason if necessary
- Pick out any pieces of fat
- I like t serve with a warm crusty bread with cold real salted butter - Yummy!
- This can also be made in the crockpot or in the oven.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookpossumqueen Small Town, Of A
The Rating4 people
Yum, this is just like my hubby likes it. Great post.marges in Springfield loved it
I love pork and Kraut. I do the same dish using pork chops. The chops come out so tender and juicy that you don't even need a knife.
marthacheves in Charlotte loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!