The Soup Of Many OnionsFrom noir 8 years ago
- 4 small red new potatoes, scrubbed and cut in quarters shopping list
- 6 cups chicken stock (use water if no stock on hand) shopping list
- 4 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, sliced shopping list
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed, sliced shopping list
- 3 small leeks, trimmed, sliced (be sure to wash thoroughly!) shopping list
- 4 spring onions, peeled, sliced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced shopping list
- 2 cups half-and-half shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Chopped chives shopping list
How to make it
- Place potatoes and chicken stock in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Throw in all the onions and the garlic and cook about 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Be sure to stir the onions frequently so that they cook evenly without burning.
- Transfer the onions to the pot containing the potatoes and stock once the potatoes are tender.
- Simmer for 5-10 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Dump the contents of the pot in a blender (do it batchwise if your blender won't hold all of the mixture at once) and purée.
- Return the puréed soup to the pot and add the half-and-half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve it forth in bowls and garnish with the chopped chives.
The Cooknoir Boston, MA
The Rating15 people
I love onions..Can't wait to make this...:Dwynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
Oh Gosh!!!! This looks yummers and I can smell it already ..... Great recipe...zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
Wonderful. I love all the varieties of onions together. They each add a subtle difference and sum is greater than the parts. Love this.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it