Spicy Bacon Cheese And Chive BiscuitsFrom lunasea 9 years ago
- 3 1/2 c. of all-purpose flour (I like King Arthur's Unbleached AP flour) shopping list
- 2 tbsp. baking powder shopping list
- 2 tsp. cayenne powder (Don't be alarmed...being a heat fiend, I used 3 tsp. and they were only slightly spicy - plus it adds such a pretty color. I'm thinking a good smoky Spanish paprika would be a great, and less hot, substitute) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used fine shredded sharp cheddar tonight) shopping list
- 1/3 cup chilled shortening, cubed shopping list
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed shopping list
- **NOTE: I like using a 50%-50% mix of shortening and butter - shortening for the tender crumb and butter for added taste. shopping list
- 4 slices of regular cut bacon, diced shopping list
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk shopping list
- 1/2 cup minced chives (scallions would work here, too) shopping list
How to make it
- Brown off diced bacon until browned and crisp. Remove from heat and let come to room temperature. Do not let the bacon grease set up...but you don't want to melt the blended butter and shortening in the biscuit mix either, when added.
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Add flour, baking powder, cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine thorougly.
- Add cheese and stir to coat with flour mixture.
- Cube shortening and unsalted butter into 1/4" cubes.
- Add to flour mixture and crumble together until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
- Add the chives, bacon and residual bacon grease and stir thoroughly.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until flour mixture is almost absorbed.
- Lightly flour counter surface. Dump mix in bowl and knead 6-8 times to get tacky, but somewhat smooth. **Do NOT overknead or it will make your biscuits tough - not good. You only want to handle this until it comes together...
- Flatten dough by hand or by rolling pin until about 1/2 " thick - cut with 3" cutter. Keep reforming the dough (don't overwork...) until you use it up.
- Place on greased cooking sheet..
- Bake at preheated 450 F oven for 15-17 minutes or until nicely browned.
- When these came out of the oven, I brushed with melted unsalted butter.
- So good!
People Who Like This Dish 33
The Cooklunasea Orlando, FL
The Rating11 people
Yum! I have to try this on my son-in-law. He loves heat and biscuits. This may be the bread I make to go with his birthday dinner next week.
So you think 3t. of cayenne is ok? I know the fat in the recipe will calm things down a bit. The smoked...moregrandmommy in Nashville loved it
ohh! i am reading this before breakfast - and used up all my bacon yesterday. drat! what a great idea. i am sure these bisquits will go heavenly with some cheese while still warm, too.
hugs to you....i am not permitted white flour but i will be ...morekochhexe in Butzbach loved it
Hi Vickie! Made 'em, ate 'em, loved 'em! You should sell this recipe to one of those really good restaurants who have great food but always have lousy bread service! They could learn something from you! I used Prairie Gold Flour, it is a white whole ...moregrandmommy in Nashville loved it