Cabbage Smothered And SouthernFrom cajunspices66 8 years ago
- 2 SMALL heads of cabbage OR 1 GOOD SIZE MEDIUM CABBAGE ( I DON'T USE THE LARGE heads of cabbage) shopping list
- 2 LARGE yellow onions shopping list
- seasoning ( I USE NATURES seasoning) shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- salt (ADD TOWARDS THE END OF THE COOKING PROCESS, TASTE BEFORE AND AFTER ADDING salt) shopping list
- sugar OR SPLENDA (TO YOUR DESIRED TASTE. PEOPLE DIFFER, SOME LIKE IT SWEET SOME NOT. sugar TAKES THE bitter OUT OF THE cabbage IN MY OPINION) shopping list
- MEAT (YOUR CHOICE OF bacon, SMOKED pork (WHICH I USE), ham OR ham hocks). shopping list
How to make it
- CLEAN YOUR CABBAGE, AND I CUT MINE INTO SMALL QUARTERS.
- IN A LARGE POT, PLACE YOUR CABBAGE, MEAT AND SEASONINGS.
- ADD 1/2 CUP OF WATER (CABBAGE TENDS TO MAKE ITS OWN JUICE)
- BRING TO A BOIL FOR A FEW MINUTES
- TURN DOWN TO A MEDIUM HEAT. PLACE A SEE THROUGH LID ON TOP OF YOUR POT SO YOU CAN KEEP YOUR SOUTHERN EYE ON THE CABBAGE.
- STIR CABBAGE A FEW TIMES TO HELP THE SMOTHERING PROCESS
- TASTE YOUR CABBAGE HALFWAY THROUGH, YOU MAY HAVE TO ADD A LITTLE BIT OF THIS OR A LITTLE BIT OF THAT. LOL!
The Cookcajunspices66 Pineville, LA
The Rating6 people
Great One! Thanks :)donman in Hammond loved it
Yeah baby. This is the only way I eat it (unless it's Napa). With lots of black pepper. Thank you.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
I love this kind of cooking! Cajun, you have some really great recipes! I'm so glad you're sharing them here!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it