My Greek Spinach Pie SpanakopitaFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 16 to 20 phyllo pastry leaves ( 1 box ) shopping list
- 3 lbs. frozen chopped leaf spinach shopping list
- 1 stick melted butter/margarine or equivalent of olive oil shopping list
- 1 lb. feta cheese shopping list
- 1 small bunch of fresh dill chopped shopping list
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley shopping list
- 1 bunch of green onions shopping list
- few cloves of garlic crushed shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- olive oil to sauté shopping list
- 6 large eggs, shopping list
- salt, fresh grated black pepper, nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- Cook spinach to package directions, cool and squeeze out all excess water and rechop by hand or food processor.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in some olive oil.
- Chop the green onions, parsley and dill.
- Combine the spinach, sautéed mixture, green onions, parsley and dill.
- Blend in crumbled feta cheese.
- Season to desired taste.
- Fork beat eggs and add to the spinach mixture.
- Set aside.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Layer 8 to 10 leaves of phyllo, butter each individual sheet.
- Add spinach mixture.
- Top with another 8 to 10 more phyllo leaves, again layering and buttering each individual sheet.
- With a scissors cut off and trim any overlapping phyllo pastry.( or you could tuck in or overlap excess over the top ) .
- Cover pan with a damp tea towel and plastic wrap.
- Chill 30 minutes before baking.
- This can also be prepared and covered several hours before baking.
- Bake in a 350F oven about one hour or until puffed and golden.
- Cool 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.
- Note: Leftovers reheat well. I like to serve with rice pilaf.
- Also: when working with phyllo pastry read package instructions because this pastry dries out and crumbles quickly if not kept covered.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating31 people
I agree, I want to come as well. LOL. I had this at a nice Greek restaurant here in town about a month ago and couldn't get enough of it. Glad to have the recipe. Yummers, yummers, yummers. Great post, you've got my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Wonderful recipe, this time I'm really going to make it myself. I've been very lazy!juliecake in Bluffdale loved it
I LOVE spanakopita and your recipe looks absolutely wonderful! You deserve "5" forks for this gem!lor in Toronto loved it