Tarte alsacienneFrom ahmed1 6 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 4 ½ cups flour, sifted shopping list
- ½ tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup cold butter, diced shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp iced water shopping list
- Method: shopping list
- Mix flour, salt and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add a little water and mix to form dough. Chill for an hour. shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 6 red apples, peeled, cored, halved and sliced ¾ of the way through. shopping list
- 1 tbsp castor sugar for sprinkling on the apples shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- ½ cup castor sugar shopping list
- 1 cup cream shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- apricot jam, heated with a little water, to glaze shopping list
How to make it
- Roll out chilled dough to line a 30-cm tart pan. Arrange semi-sliced apples on the tart shell and sprinkle with some sugar. The sugar will caramelize when heated. Bake uncovered at 205c/400f for 20 minutes.
- When the apples are soft, remove the tart from the oven and drain the excess water from the pastry shell.
- To prepare the custard, beat eggs, sugar and cream until well mixed. Add lemon juice and vanilla. Pour this into the pastry shell, lifting the apples a little and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the custard sets.
- Glaze with apricot jam and serve slightly warm.
- Chef’s note: Pouring a little warm calvados on the tart turns it into Tart Normande Flambee
The Cookahmed1 Cairo, EG
The Rating16 people
I had to come back and take another peek at this pie, it's breathtaking!michellem in Idaho loved it
great post Ahmed, as always, and great pictures too, got my 5! of coursemagali777 in Mexico loved it
Ah Ahmed, this is a thing of beauty! You are so talented. Our home is in the midst of renovations and has been for some time. I am so looking forward to having guests that I can serve this or any one of your lovely creations to, and tell them my Egyp...morerecipesrule in Winnipeg loved it