Layered chcocolate mousse cakeFrom ahmed1 6 years ago
- 1 20 cm chocolate butter cake ( follow my vanilla chocolate pound cake for best results, chocolate batter) shopping list
- white chocolate mousse: shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 4 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup milk shopping list
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder shopping list
- 3 tbsp water shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 4 1/2 oz white chocolate shopping list
- 4 ½ oz plain chocolate, or dark chocolate shopping list
- chocolate glaze: shopping list
- 5 oz plain chocolate shopping list
- 1/3 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 oz white chocolate, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Split the cake in half and set the bottom half in a 20cm cake ring in a serving platter. Keep the other in fridge for another use.
- Separate the eggs. Divide the egg whites in half in two separate bowl and set aside.
- Place the yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Place the milk in a pan and heat gently, stirring until almost boiling. Pour the milk on to the egg yolks, whisking.
- Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and cook, stirring until the mixture thickens enough to thinly coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small heatproof bowl and leave to go spongy. Place over a pan of hot water and stir until dissolved. Stir into the hot mixture. Leave to cool.
- Whip the cream until just holding its shape. Fold into the egg custard, then divide the mixture into 2. Melt the 2 types of chocolate separately. Fold the white chocolate into one egg custard portion. Whisk half of the egg whites until standing in soft peaks and fold into the white chocolate mixture until combined Pour over the prepared cake and chill until set.
- Fold the plain or dark chocolate into the other egg custard portion. Whisk the other half of the egg whites until standing in soft peaks and fold into the plain chocolate mixture until combined. Keep at room temperature then pour over the chilled white layer and chill again
- Make the glaze:
- Heat cream until simmering point and pour over the chopped chocolate. Stir until smooth. Leave to cool and thickens. Pour over the chilled. Make three circles with the melted white chocolate and use a toothpick to make decorative pattern. Chill again until serving time.
The Cookahmed1 Cairo, EG
The Rating12 people
Hi Ahmed and thank you for sharing this recipe. I have been wondering what type of cake to make for a family birthday celebration. This is going to be the adults cake and I will bake a separate cake for the children. Thanks so much as I truly appreci...morechacha in New York loved it
beautiful!midgelet in Eastern loved it
Mmmmm, so delicious! And probably the mousse feel so fluffy and light! Saved!elgab89 in Toronto loved it